In InLife, the main focus is to facilitate the integration of real-world information into the game world and validate how this approach helps serious games to have a significant impact in their intended educational objectives. Thus, InLife’s Gamification Platform, and the associated Serious Games, drive users’ progress by completing specific tasks in real life, such as switching off a light when leaving a room or cooperate with other persons in simple actions, on top of a scalable sensing and monitoring infrastructure implementing the Internet of Things (IoT) paradigm. IoT enables the creation of user-centered applications in various domains and scales allowing seamless connection of objects able to interact with the environment and also the apps.
InLife gathers substantial innovation potential, being based on a fundamentally novel concept and featuring a unique combination of three differentiating elements. Real-life actions have noticeable consequences on the serious in-game progress, which in turn act as stimuli that motivate and promote behavioual change, mobilizing awareness-raising of more conscious actions in real-life.
On the basis of this fundamental novelty, InLife gathers the following differentiation factors and features:
- an open gamification approach for non-leisure, educational and social inclusion, applications and behavioural changes, linking the physical world to serious game progress evolution;
- reliable, modular and flexible IoT functions providing bidirectional interaction between serious gameplay activities and the surrounding real-space;
- integration of powerful serious games analytics and automatic difficulty and reward balancing mechanisms;
- coverage of pertinent societal and educational issues and needs, such as working towards a collective goal, environmental awareness, support of well-being and social inclusion, active citizen engagement, etc.
- utilization of multiple state-of-the-art open gaming technologies for the realization of a modular, flexible and open architecture able to support serious games in a wide range of educational, learning and social inclusion contexts with minimum external intervention, offering also simplified tools for customizing and adjusting serious game parameters and settings.